Elevated serum polybrominated diphenyl ethers and thyroid-stimulating hormone associated with lymphocytic micronuclei in Chinese workers from an E-waste dismantling site. Yuan, J., Chen, L., Chen, D., Guo, H., Bi, X., Ju, Y., Jiang, P., Shi, J., Yu, Z., Yang, J., Li, L., Jiang, Q., Sheng, G., Fu, J., Wu, T., & Chen, X. Environmental science & technology, 42(6):2195--200, March, 2008.
Elevated serum polybrominated diphenyl ethers and thyroid-stimulating hormone associated with lymphocytic micronuclei in Chinese workers from an E-waste dismantling site. [link]Paper  abstract   bibtex   
In this study, we recruited 49 subjects from one village close to an electronic waste (e-waste) site (exposed group) and another located 50 km away from the e-waste site (control group). We found that serum levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (median PBDEs, 382 ng/g lipid weight; range, 77-8452 ng/g lipid weight) and thyroid-stimulating hormone (median TSH, 1.79 microIU/mL; range, 0.38-9.03 microIU/mL) and frequencies of micro-nucleated binucleated cells (MNed BNC; median, 5% per hundred; range, 0-96% per hundred) were significantly higher in the exposed group than in the control group (158 ng/g, range of 18-436 ng/g, and p \textbackslashtextless 0.05; 1.15 microIU/mL, range of 0.48-2.09, and p \textbackslashtextless 0.01; and 0% per hundred, range of 0-5% per hundred, and p \textbackslashtextless 0.01, respectively). A history of working with e-waste was significantly associated with increased MNed BNC frequencies (odds ratio (OR), 38.85; 95% confidence interval (CI) = 1-1358.71, p = 0.044), independent of years of local residence, a perceived risk factor. However, there was no association between PBDEs exposure and oxidative DNA damage. Therefore, the exposure to PBDEs at the e-waste site may have an effect on the levels of TSH and genetoxic damage among these workers, but this needs to be validated in large studies.
@article{yuan_elevated_2008,
	title = {Elevated serum polybrominated diphenyl ethers and thyroid-stimulating hormone associated with lymphocytic micronuclei in {Chinese} workers from an {E}-waste dismantling site.},
	volume = {42},
	issn = {0013-936X},
	url = {http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18411489},
	abstract = {In this study, we recruited 49 subjects from one village close to an electronic waste (e-waste) site (exposed group) and another located 50 km away from the e-waste site (control group). We found that serum levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (median PBDEs, 382 ng/g lipid weight; range, 77-8452 ng/g lipid weight) and thyroid-stimulating hormone (median TSH, 1.79 microIU/mL; range, 0.38-9.03 microIU/mL) and frequencies of micro-nucleated binucleated cells (MNed BNC; median, 5\% per hundred; range, 0-96\% per hundred) were significantly higher in the exposed group than in the control group (158 ng/g, range of 18-436 ng/g, and p {\textbackslash}textless 0.05; 1.15 microIU/mL, range of 0.48-2.09, and p {\textbackslash}textless 0.01; and 0\% per hundred, range of 0-5\% per hundred, and p {\textbackslash}textless 0.01, respectively). A history of working with e-waste was significantly associated with increased MNed BNC frequencies (odds ratio (OR), 38.85; 95\% confidence interval (CI) = 1-1358.71, p = 0.044), independent of years of local residence, a perceived risk factor. However, there was no association between PBDEs exposure and oxidative DNA damage. Therefore, the exposure to PBDEs at the e-waste site may have an effect on the levels of TSH and genetoxic damage among these workers, but this needs to be validated in large studies.},
	number = {6},
	journal = {Environmental science \& technology},
	author = {Yuan, Jing and Chen, Lan and Chen, Duohong and Guo, Huan and Bi, Xinhui and Ju, Ying and Jiang, Pu and Shi, Jibin and Yu, Zhiqiang and Yang, Jin and Li, Liping and Jiang, Qi and Sheng, Guoying and Fu, Jiamo and Wu, Tangchun and Chen, Xuemin},
	month = mar,
	year = {2008},
	pmid = {18411489},
	keywords = {Adult, Asian Continental Ancestry Group, Chromosome-Defective, Chromosome-Defective: chemically indu, Deoxyguanosine, Deoxyguanosine: analogs \& derivatives, Deoxyguanosine: urine, Electronics, Environmental Monitoring, Environmental Pollutants, Environmental Pollutants: blood, Environmental Pollutants: toxicity, Female, Flame Retardants: metabolism, Flame Retardants: toxicity, Flame retardants, Glutathione, Glutathione: blood, Humans, Lymphocytes, Lymphocytes: drug effects, Male, Malondialdehyde, Malondialdehyde: blood, Micronuclei, Occupational Exposure, Occupational Exposure: adverse effects, Occupational Exposure: analysis, Phenyl Ethers, Phenyl Ethers: blood, Phenyl Ethers: toxicity, Polybrominated Biphenyls, Polybrominated Biphenyls: blood, Polybrominated Biphenyls: toxicity, Superoxide Dismutase, Superoxide Dismutase: blood, Thyrotropin, Thyrotropin: blood, Waste Products, eol, frelec, hum},
	pages = {2195--200}
}

Downloads: 0